Monday, November 25, 2013

The Puzzler: The Kingdom of Castles

Once upon a time in the Kingdom of Castles there lived a prince in search of a bride. The prince searched throughout the kingdom. One afternoon, after many hours of seeking hither and yon, the prince spied a fair maid fetching some water from Castle Creek. The prince fell instantly in love.





“Greetings and well met, fair maid!” said the prince, “I am Prince Phillip, future king of all this land. Will you marry me?”

“Nay, bold prince, it cannot be,” said the fair maid, “unless you can answer my riddle. For the man who marries me must be clever beyond compare.”

“Speak your riddle then, beautiful maid, and I will answer it, and you shall be my bride.”

“You are confident, good prince, but we shall see if you are clever. Here is my riddle:

Forty men and forty horses
may not move it one hair.
As large as yonder castle,
yet lighter than air. What am I?”

The prince proceeded to make 99 guesses but each time the fair maid replied, “Nay, nay, try once more.” Finally the prince smiled a princely smile and said: “I have got it at last, and now you will be my bride!”

The prince gave his final guess and the fair maid smiled and held out her arms and said, “Now I shall be your bride, for you are clever indeed!”

What is the answer to the fair maid’s riddle?



Answer next month!


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


LAST ISSUE'S PUZZLER: Five Famous Americans, with ANSWERS

Our feature article last month showed Helen Keller with Alexander Graham Bell. Helen also met and touched and befriended many other famous Americans.

QUESTIONS: Can you name all five famous Americans shown with Helen Keller in the photos below?










ANSWERS:
1. Mark Twain, author
2. Charlie Chaplin, actor
3. Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady
4. Dwight D. Eisenhower, US President
5. John F. Kennedy, US President

No comments:

Post a Comment